Saturday, July 19, 2008

Drama Response to "A Doll House" by Henrik Ibsen

Reading the play “A Doll House” by Henrik Ibsen I was much more interesting in reading than I expected. I have never been involved in theater or acting, and thought that reading the play would be difficult to follow because of how it is written. Having the setting described separately and the characters’ names before they speak is not something I am used to. I also didn’t think it would catch my attention and make me want to continue reading. But I was definitely proven otherwise.

The play caught my attention because I thought the relationship between Torvald and Nora was healthy and happy. I actually thought it was almost like a love story, with a twist. To me they appeared to have a wonderful relationship; Torvald had pet names for his wife and really seemed to care about her. Nora didn’t act as though she would ever think about leaving Torvald. She was even willing to commit forgery for him, whether it was the right choice or not. She appeared to love her children more than anything in the world! But at the end of the play, she left them anyways! I wonder what was going on the whole time that I missed. Nora must have been feeling unhappy and dissatisfied with her life and her relationships. There must have been built up guilt, anger, and frustration. I can’t imagine that she all of a sudden decided it was necessary to leave because Torvald learned about her crime. Especially knowing he forgave her for it.

To me, her excuse of leaving was exactly that; an excuse. She must have always wanted to leave and felt unsure of who she was and wanted to try and figure it out. So when Torvald learned of her crime, she was able to blame her leaving on that. Torvald proved again that he loved her by having that unconditional forgiveness. To forgive a person of a crime that you feel is beyond appalling, he must have had feelings for her or else he would have chosen to live a life without her. But he still wanted to make things work; he still wanted her as part of his life, as well as in their children’s lives.

This drama had passion, deception, forgiveness, misunderstanding, love, and all sorts of emotions. It drew in the audience and had twists and turns. It kept the audience intrigued and wanting to know what the outcome would be. I think this play was very well written, and it convinced me that I am a fan of drama!

1 comment:

Blake Proefrock said...

I tend to agree with you in many different aspects. The work of "A Doll House" by Henrik Ibsen was quite an interesting piece. It seems as if the biggest matter of the story for you was Nora rather than Torvald if I am not mistaken. Even so she was for me, the point you made about her committing forgery was exactly correct, I didnt think that she would do something like that. Their relationship was a little wavery though, I am not sure if it was really a "love story" type but that is of course looking from retrospect. I only say this because reading many of the comments in our discussions really makes an individual add more to the story than is actually there. I am not really sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I once again agree with you in the fact that Nora loved her children more than anything and I too was extremely surprised to see her leave them without much of a problem. Although it doesnt give much insight I believe her turmoil with her choice was tearing her up inside. I enjoy many of your comments and insight with this drama literature. Excellent!